Wednesday, March 24, 2010

story of my fair weathered friend

FAIR WEATHERED FRIEND

It was your idea, and I warned you.
It was your decision,
Not to.
My first friend, a decade new,
Frankenstein,
Put together with glue.
Kindred we were, though it seemed to be,
That our souls shared,
Commonalities.
Charming and smart, witty and sweet
I waited each day,
For our eyes to meet.
It was to be a secret,
An affair of sorts.
New and exciting,
Without a lovers courts.
Your intentions were clear, as were mine,
But you began pulling away,
Until I could only pine.
Once the secret was out,
I felt you drifting.
Upon me your excuses.
Yet I kept sifting.
I pushed and I pushed.
I asked for response.
You promised it coming,
With nonchalance.
I never could explain, how my feelings developed,
For you my fair weathered friend.
I never could explain, why 'yes' instead of 'no',
Now that I’m at another end.
I thought you were different, from the average Joe,
Sincere and real.
I thought were different, as friends might go,
Only this saddness I feel.
I tried to think rationally, when life is anything but,
As a whirlwind blew away my foothold.
I tried to think rationally, when I stumbled over words,
Trying to listen to your every untold.
I told you it’d be intense, and a freedom card was granted,
Taken as easy means to an end.
I will always miss you completely,
My fair weathered friend.
You were invited in, and I knew something new.
You were very kind.
I needed something from you.
You never gave me the time,
To come out of the dark.
You took the first chance,
To give up your mark.
I still feel the pull,
And I hope each day,
You might remember what it was,
That made you like me anyway.
I’m sorry you regret,
Having said a word.
But I am also sorry
For being absurd.
I should have known,
I’d be the fool.
I should have remembered,
The cardinal rule.
You’re unforgiving,
Yet genuine upon meet.
Fair weathered friend, you are,
Sadness, I wish not to repeat.
You couldn’t be honest,
Nor could you convey,
The truth about anything,
I asked you each day.
You run without shame,
As you’ve always done.
I’d hoped you’d have learned,
From the last tale you’d spun.
I shall always be thankful, for the peace you first brought.
As I shall always be thankful, for reminding me I thought,
That people don’t change, or care much in the end.
But you I do miss, my fair weathered friend.

1 comment: